Exclusive first look inside NYC apt. where deadly blaze began

0
26

[ad_1]

Here is an exclusive chilling first look inside the fire-ravaged Bronx apartment where a massive blaze started Sunday, killing at least 19 people.

The apocalyptic second-floor duplex is completely gutted and charred, with twisted metal and debris strewn about in front of gaping, large, open windows, while a lone metal railing somehow survived upright, according to a heartbreaking snapshot obtained by The Post on Monday.

Other dramatic images and video from the decimated second floor show debris scattered in the hallway outside, along with puddles of water from Fire Department hoses, in what now resembles a blackened tunnel.

Video footage offers glimpses inside several other apartments destroyed by the blaze, with huge holes in their doors and walls. The door to the unit where the fire is believed to have started is seen padlocked.

Authorities said nine of those killed were children, while at least 63 other people were injured in the blaze which occurred on January 9, 2022.
Authorities said nine of those killed were children, while at least 63 other people were injured in the blaze which occurred on January 9, 2022.
CHINE NOUVELLE/SIPA/Shutterstock
Inside the damaged hallway area of the building.
Inside the damaged hallway area of the building.
Another look inside the burnt building.
Another look inside the burnt building.
Officials gather outside the building amid the fire.
Officials gather outside the building amid the fire.
Paul Martinka

FDNY officials said the fire started with a malfunctioning space heater inside the duplex apartment, with the smoke and flames spreading quickly through an open front door.

Authorities said nine of those killed were children, while at least 63 other people were injured, some of them still in critical condition.

A review by The Post Sunday revealed that the 120-unit high-rise, built as part of an urban renewal project in 1972, had more than two dozen complaints and violations since 2014 — but none over fire code or safety issues.

[ad_2]

Source link