Brooklyn judge again frees teen with five open gun cases



A Brooklyn judge cut loose an alleged teen gang member with a history of gun crimes — after he was busted a fifth time for possession, The Post has learned.

Judge Leigh Cheng didn’t seem to mind that Raquan Wilson, 19, already had four open cases for packing loaded pistols and for armed robbery — including allegedly pointing a gun at one victim and threatening to shoot him in the head — when he came before him on the latest case Tuesday.

Wilson, an alleged member of the Folk Nation gang who was arrested for attempted murder at 15, was riding in an Uber on March 21 with two pals, according to police.

Cops pulled over the car and found a fanny pack on the floor containing a loaded SAR 9mm pistol, the criminal complaint alleges.

Since one of his friends claimed the gun belonged to him, the judge agreed to set Wilson free without bail on four counts of weapon possession and firearm possession at the request of Brooklyn prosecutors, a court transcript revealed.

“Mr. Wilson, you are going to be released today,” Cheng told him. “You know the facts of the allegations here, they’re serious, however, it appears that this matter will allow your release given the People’s consent to that.”

Neither the judge nor the prosecutor mentioned the teen menace’s four other cases spanning two boroughs during the arraignment in Brooklyn Criminal Court.

Office of Court Administration spokesman Lucian Chalfen defended the judge’s decision. “Based on the facts of the case in front of him, indicating that this defendant was not the individual who possessed the gun, the judge, with the consent of the District Attorney, determined that a release on his own recognizance was the least restrictive form of bail as required by law,” Chalfen said.

A spokesperson for the Brooklyn DA said the gun will be tested for DNA to determine whether Wilson is the owner.

“We are awaiting additional evidence and if it connects the defendant to the gun, we will proceed and prosecute the case,” the spokesman said.

The 2016 attempted murder case against Wilson was handled in family court and is sealed.

But records show that on Feb. 15, 2019, a cop saw him toss a fanny pack near the rear door of 845 Gates Ave., a housing project in Bedford-Stuyvesant, which contained a loaded hi-point 9mm semi-automatic pistol, a complaint charges. He was sprung without bail.

About four months later, at the same housing project, a cop saw Wilson hurl a loaded black .38-caliber Cobra Denali into an area with garbage cans. When the officer confronted Wilson, he said, “I am not gonna lie, I threw that s–t.” He was released on $1,500 bail.

He pleaded guilty to criminal possession of a firearm in each case, for which he’s expected to be sentenced to two years in state prison on March 29.

But he allegedly didn’t stop there.

On the afternoon of June 4 last year, in front of a shuttered storefront in Jamaica, Queens, Wilson allegedly approached another man with a silver .38-caliber pistol loaded with two rounds and barked, “Don’t move!” But the alleged robbery was thwarted when cops arrived.

In addition to the firearm, he allegedly had 33 small blue baggies of cocaine stuffed inside a tennis ball in his sweatshirt pocket, according to the complaint.

He was charged with gun possession, attempted armed robbery, drug possession and other raps — but was out six days later after posting $25,000 bail.

A month later, Wilson’s alleged crime spree resumed on July 15, 2020, when a pair of women lured two men to the Cresthaven Inn at JFK for what they thought would be a good time.

Instead, Wilson and two pals allegedly burst into the room with guns trained on the men. One of Wilson’s unapprehended cohorts whacked one of the victims in the head with a firearm, then swiped his iPhone, Rolex, the keys to his white Mercedes and $600 in cash.

Wilson then allegedly pistol-whipped the same man. “You [a] tough guy?” he snarled, according to the complaint. “I’m going to shoot you in the head.”

Wilson, his pals and the two women fled. Cops later tracked down Wilson and he was charged with robbery and assault and released on $10,000 bail. Both Queens cases are still pending.

Wilson’s court-appointed lawyer didn’t immediately return a request for comment.


Source link